The holidays always have us nostalgic about our favorite childhood treats. Bring the holiday CHEER home to your families with our chef-inspired portable Cheerwine Pop Tarts from Adam Spears at Charlotte’s Local Loaf.
Pop Tart Filling:
- 3 cups Cheerwine
- 1 ½ cups cherry jam
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup kirsch liqueur (optional)
Pop Tart Dough:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
Pop Tart Icing:
- 1 cup Cheerwine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 7 ¼ cups powder sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (garnish)
Specialty Kitchen Tools:
Immersion blender (stick blender) or food processor
Cheerwine Pop Tart Filling:
For best results we suggest making your Cheerwine Pop Tart filling at least 1 day prior to making pop tarts to allow for adequate cooling time.
- Whisk together Cheerwine, cherry jam, granulated sugar, salt, frozen cherries, dried cherries, vanilla extract, and kirsch liqueur (optional) in a large pot.
- Place on high heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test for nappe on the back of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat once filling has reached 230-250°F. (Use a candy thermometer for temperature.)
- Use an immersion blender or food processor to reach a jam-like consistency with the filling. Once smooth, place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill. (Do not use a standard blender with hot liquid. If a standard blender is your only tool available, allow to cool to room temperature.)
- Fill your pop tarts with the filling once it is cool to the touch.
Pop Tart Dough:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and set aside for egg wash.
- Knead together all-purpose flour, salt, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, and sour cream until fully combined (3-5 minutes).
- Lightly flour your surface and roll dough out into a 12” x 24” rectangle that is approximately 1/16” thick.
- Cut 12 equal-sized rectangles that are 6” x 4”. Use a fork to poke holes in the center of 6 of them, these will be the tops.
- Spoon the chilled Cheerwine filling in the center of the 6 rectangles (that haven’t been poked) and spread it out, leaving 1/4” border towards the edges.
- Brush the 1/4” border of the bottom rectangles with egg wash.
- Take the rectangles (with the poked holes) and lay them on top.
- Use a fork to crimp the sides of the rectangles together, creating a seal.
- Place the pop tarts on a baking sheet and brush the tops with egg wash. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While pop tarts are baking, make your icing (directions below).
- Allow pop tarts to cool before icing. Once cooled spoon/drizzle/pipe the icing over the pop tarts and garnish with sprinkles.
Pop Tart Icing:
- Combine Cheerwine, granulated sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium pot to create Cheerwine syrup.
- Place on high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium/low for another 10 minutes or until your mixture has reached 250°F. (Use a candy thermometer for temperature.)
- Once at 250°F, remove from heat and cool until it is slightly warm to the touch.
- Combine sifted powdered sugar, prepared Cheerwine syrup, the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, melted unsalted butter, milk, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Mix together until fully combined and smooth.
- Place in an airtight container until ready for use. (Do not refrigerate.)