This simple yet delicious pie from Mesha Wilson, owner of Mesha’s Sinful Cakes in Columbia, S.C., is sure to have your guests asking for seconds.
- 2–9” frozen pie crusts
- 2 cans Comstock cherry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cheerwine Syrup
- 1 egg, jumbo
- Whipped cream (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place one frozen pie crust into heated oven approximately 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Pour cherry pie filling into strainer with large mixing bowl directly underneath to catch excess cherry sauce. Do not turn the strainer’s handle. Simply shake the sifter and the cherry sauce will begin to fall into the bowl.
- Pour all of the cherries into a large mixing bowl and add sugar, Cheerwine, then toss until all ingredients are well mixed. Pour prepared cherries into the baked pie crust.
- Place single pie crust into the oven approximately 5-8 minutes, just enough to soften the crust. Take softened pie crust and gently pull the dough and place it on top of cherries like a blanket over cherry filling. Using a fork, go around the pie mashing the edges to seal the crust. Then with the fork gently poke holes into the top of the pie to prevent it from burning.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl until mixed well then brush the top of the pie with egg wash and add pie to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.