This mouthwatering Cajun-inspired meal will have guests at your dinner table begging for seconds. From our friend Jody Morphis at Blue Denim in Greensboro, N.C.
- 8 slices thick-sliced applewood smoked bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans, soaked in water for 4 hours
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 ham hock
- 4 cups water
- 10 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into thin rounds
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons Crystal Hot Sauce
- 16 ounces Cheerwine
- 16 ounces zinfandel
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 6 ounces prepared demi-glacé
- 3 cups jasmine rice, cooked
- 6 pieces prepared store-bought duck confit, heated
- In a large pot render bacon until crispy.
- Add onions and peppers and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add red beans and chicken broth, bay leaves, and thyme.
- Add ham hock, water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat until beans are simmering.
- Add andouille sausage.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking beans for 1 hour or until tender.
- Then add cayenne pepper and Crystal Hot Sauce.
- In a medium saucepan bring Cheerwine to a boil and reduce by half.
- Add zinfandel and rosemary and continue cooking until reduced by half.
- Add demi-glacé and keep warm.
To Complete Dish:
- Place ½ cup of jasmine rice on the center of a dinner plate.
- Ladle red bean cassoulet over rice.
- Top with a piece of heated prepared duck confit.
- Drizzle Cheerwine-Zinfandel Demi over duck.