Need something to bring to the cookout this weekend? This light and fluffy Cheerwine Poke Cake makes that task a tasty cherry-flavored breeze!
- 1 box white cake mix, plus ingredients needed on back of box, replacing water with Cheerwine
- ½ cup Maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 ½ cups Cheerwine
- 1 3-ounce box cherry-flavored gelatin
For Whipped Topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons Maraschino cherry liquid from jar
- Maraschino cherries (garnish)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9×13 inch baking pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using 1 cup of Cheerwine in place of water, and stirring in chopped cherries. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for recommended time on cake mix box. Allow cake to cool 15 minutes.
For Gelatin: In a small saucepan bring 1 ½ cups of Cheerwine to a boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in gelatin until dissolved. Using a straw or handle of wooden spoon, poke holes in cake about every 2 inches. Pour gelatin mixture evenly over entire cake. Cover and refrigerate cake for at least 4 hours.
For Whipped Topping: Using an electric mixer beat heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, and cherry liquid until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream on top of cake and garnish with cherries.
Keep leftovers refrigerated.