Need something to bring to the cookout this weekend? This Cheerwine Poke Cake makes that task a tasty cherry-flavored breeze!
For the Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix, plus ingredients needed on back of box, replacing the water with Cheerwine
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
For the Gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups Cheerwine
- 1 3-oz box cherry-flavored gelatin
For the Whipped Topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons liquid from Maraschino cherry jar
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using the 1 cup of Cheerwine in place of the water, and stirring in the chopped cherries. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for recommended time on cake mix box. Allow cake to cool 15 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups of Cheerwine to a boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in the gelatin until dissolved. Using a straw or handle of wooden spoon – poke holes in the cake about every 2 inches. Pour the gelatin mixture evenly over entire cake. Cover and refrigerate cake for at least 4 hours. Using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and cherry juice until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream on top of cake and garnish with cherries. Keep leftovers refrigerated. Enjoy!