This recipe was introduced for the first time in history at the 2019 Cheerwine Festival where 5,000 Cheerwine Hushpuppies were eaten! With rave reviews on this unique combination, you can now make these easily at home and wow your family and friends. For this recipe, you’ll need two cans of Cheerwine and you’ll get to quench your thirst for Cheerwine by drinking part of one while you’re the chef!
- 1 cup House-Autry Plain Hushpuppy Mix
- 1 12-ounce can Cheerwine (regular, not Diet or Zero Sugar)
- Plus 4 tablespoons Cheerwine (regular, not Diet or Zero Sugar)
- Empty 1 12-ounce can Cheerwine into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes. You will end up with about 4 tablespoons of Cheerwine reduction.
- Let reduction cool before making hushpuppies.
Hushpuppies – Deep Fryer Instructions
- Heat oil to 350ºF.
- In bowl, thoroughly combine Hushpuppy mix, prepared Cheerwine reduction, and the additional 4 tablespoons Cheerwine. Let stand 5 minutes and while you’re waiting, feel free to drink the remainder from the second can of Cheerwine!
- Using a small cookie scoop or melon baller, drop batter into oil and fry 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from fryer and drain on paper towels.
Feels like a southern tradition when eating these! So good and gives a great, sweet kick. Would definitely recommend trying these!!
Never thought about adding Cheerwine to hushpuppies, but awesome idea. Will make this again.
Nothing says “delicious” like some Cheerwine hush puppies! I could make a meal off of just these.
I had these at the Cheerwine Festival. Let’s just say, that they alone were worth the drive up from Myrtle Beach!
I absolutely love hush puppies and Cheerwine, so the fact that these are combined… WOW!