Here in Carolina, a good vinegar-based BBQ sauce is a must-have recipe. Since Cheerwine is also Carolina-born and raised, it only makes sense to slather your favorite smoked meats in this easy, delicious sauce! Tip: Use this sauce to baste pork or chicken during the last 15-20 minutes of grilling.
- 3 cups Cheerwine
- 1½ cups ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh-squeezed lemon juice, optional
- Your favorite brand of hot sauce, optional
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan with whisk. Place saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes or until thickened. Allow to cool. To perk up the flavor, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and hot sauce to taste. Makes two to three cups.