Wow your guests and celebrate the holidays in true southern style with a Cheerwine-inspired whoopie pie from Jolene Bailey, owner of Buttercream Dreams in West Columbia, S.C. Whoopie pies are a soft cake-like cookie sandwich with a luscious marshmallow buttercream filling.
Want to spread some holiday cheer? Wrap them individually in plastic wrap then add a personalized sticker or tie a bow around the middle using your favorite holiday ribbon.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup Cheerwine Syrup
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cheerwine Syrup
- ½ cup marshmallow fluff
- Red gel food color (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line two 9×13 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, use electric mixer to beat eggs, sugar, oil and Cheerwine Syrup on high for 1 minute. Turn mixer to low and gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Scrape sides of bowl to ensure all dry ingredients are incorporated. Mix just until combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (or a heaping tablespoon of dough) drop dough onto the parchment lined cookie sheets spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake approximately 8 – 10 minutes or until cookie appears puffy and no longer wet. Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the cookies onto a cooling rack to finish cooling. While they cool, prepare the filling.
Filling and Assembly
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat softened butter for 1 minute or until creamy.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add powdered sugar, Cheerwine Syrup, and marshmallow fluff. Beat on high for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl. Add red gel food color to reach desired shade.
- Add filling to a piping bag with a large tip then pipe filling onto the flat side of a cooled cookie or use a knife to spread on 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling. Place an unfrosted cookie on top of the iced one to create a whoopie pie sandwich. Makes approximately 9 Chocolate Cheerwine Whoopie Pies.
Pro Tip: If pies are not eaten the day they are made, place the remainder in an airtight container and refrigerate. Allow pies to come to room temperature then enjoy. They are best eaten within 2-3 days.